Lighting serves a practical purpose, but for kitchen design it can be pivotal. The kitchen is a place of comfort, where family often gathers, but it is also a work area. You should think about this when making lighting decisions. These should be a blend of decorative, task, ambient and accent considerations. Even if your kitchen does not have enough room for lighting that represents all of these, you should do your best to create a balance of different types. The following design tips should helpful to anyone who wants to light up their kitchen in the right way.
- Avoid the single fixture – having one bright, central light source can be seen in many homes, but it is not the best way to go. You will have a big glare in that spot, and too many shadows in some areas.
- Identify the important areas – some parts of the kitchen you never thought of may need lighting. Task lighting brightens spots like the underside of cabinets and the countertop area. Look at your kitchen and decides which sections need specific lighting types.
- Go for ambiance – this is important in just about every part of the home, but it is even more important in the kitchen. It adds warmth and a touch of comfort that will make the space more inviting.
- Explore accent lighting – it is easy to skip this because it plays no real role in meal prep, but you could be missing out on a great design opportunity. Since there are numerous sizes and styles you will have plenty of ways to spruce up the kitchen with lighting.
- Use a decorative approach – these fixtures tend to be more expensive, but you don’t have to use them all over the kitchen. Some pendant lighting or a chandelier may all the decorative lighting your kitchen needs. Make decisions based on the size of the kitchen so that the decorative lighting fixtures do not overwhelm the space.
When you have more than one type of lighting, you have to make them work well together in the same space. Using a dimmer is an easy way to control the mood and ambiance of the space. To avoid confusion, place the dimmer or switch for each lighting type in designated spots. This will contribute to the sense of organization you want in the kitchen.
Call us at 571-292-1025 to schedule a consultation for your upcoming remodeling project. We will help you design the perfect kitchen to meet all of your needs. We can help you with all of the tough decisions regarding paint colors and lighting.